Tuesday, March 23, 2010

flowers, mothers and friends

I spent the long weekend in bed with the flu which afforded me time to reflect on this past year: Sunday was one year ago that my beloved mother passed on. Needless to say, it has been a year of longing and adjustment as our relationship shifted from the earthly realm to a more ethereal one.

I picked her a bunch of flowers from the garden and placed it under her tree: velvety wild sage blooms, wispy gaura and cat’s tail which she loved so much; a burgundy rose which reminded me of how she spoilt me before my wedding by surrounding my bath with multiple tubs of flowers. I felt deeply privileged by the fact that she was able to preside over our wedding as she was a marriage officer (an interesting legal possibility due to her ordination into the priesthood of an esoteric church in the States). I also picked her some heaven scented rose geranium, and remembered how we indulged in deluxe pedicures at the Pezula Spa when she came to Knysna 2 years ago.

Plumbago, Bougainvillea and Bulbinella blooms reminded me of the joyful years we spent living together in Pretoria (oscillating between family home, single parenthood, later as neighbours and house-mates). Thyme for the endless meals she prepared for me. I wept with joy at the sight of Luke’s little blue Felicia flowers as I recounted the blessing of having her present for the magnificent births of my 2 children.

And finally a Moonflower for her exquisiteness and the fact that she was “met die maan gepla” (bothered by the moon). A fellow Cancerian, deeply sensitive with an endless supply of love and compassion – a most marvellous mother (and grandmother), fellow traveller, teacher, companion and friend.

I emerge from this year of mourning with a renewed appreciation for life. Our spiritual connection has left me with a deep sense of knowing that there is no death, and having her on the “other side” means I am able to live with much less fear. It was a joy and privilege to share 35 years with Trudy in the physical and great to still be one with her!

Other news, is that we had 2 more interesting Woofers who came and went:
Wanda – a 27 year old Polish wanderer who speaks Polish, English, French, German, Japanese and Russian: quite a wonder! She was also the first person I met who was able to decipher my Japanese tattoos (and thankfully confirmed that they do indeed mean “love” and “gratitude”).
And there was Camilla – a 20 year old fine art student from Cambridge.
The jolly girls spent their time painting, gardening, cooking, cleaning, washing dishes, playing Monopoly with Mila & generally adding their lovely energy to Farm 119!

We miss our sweet rabbits and have taken up playing cricket in the deserted rabbit cage (at least that way the dogs can’t steal the balls). The children received their rapports at school and both are doing wonderfully. The Montessori way seems to really be working for them. Yet another blessing to be grateful for!

Rain is still a scarce occurrence. Lightening to the soul, however, is a field of wild flowers along the road which have sprung up from the ashes of the recently devastating forest fires. Here are some pictures of our completed bathroom mosaic (a joint family effort) and our very small butternuts; the baboons got to the previous lot…

We will be preparing for our trip to Johannesburg soon – I feel a bit daunted by the prospect, yet excited at the thought of seeing loved ones and the possibility of watching the new Alice in Wonderland movie in 3D…

No comments: